If you are a movie collecter, you may have some DVDs home. Now more and more people choose ripping DVD movies to digital video formats for playing on devices like phones, tablets, game consoles etc freely. Better still, this is also a fantastic DVD storage idea to save a lot of space in your room. That's why you wanna rip your DVDs. But it is difficult to find the best free DVD ripper among those DVD rippers. Handbrake Still No.1? Maybe no. Now many DVD rippers have exceed Handbrake with some new features.
Ok, here we talk about how to choose the best DVD ripper in 2017 and how to use it to rip DVD freely.
Aspects of choosing a good free DVD ripper in 2017
- Cost/Performance: Everybody wants to gain more with less money. Free is best.
- Video Quality: Someone often uses the device to watch movie/video/tv shows, so the output video quality should be considered seriously. Top DVD Ripper output without any loss in the video and image quality of the exports. To enjoying the high definition video is of great pleasure. Or else, not only your eyes may get hurt; the annoying jumpy and mosaics will also bother you.
- Quality of DVD: Sometimes, rip DVD to device according to the original DVD quality, or the types of the DVD to determine the ripped file quality.
- Speed: Convert DVD often takes time, an hour DVD movie takes around thirty minutes to convert to MPEG-4 movie, if you have multiple DVDs to be converted, a high speed converter would be your best bet, or else, you will waste much time on the conversion, and your computer will be tied to the process.
- Easy to use: There are still many users knew little about computer, so complicated parameter settings will strain their brain, as a result, a application with simple interface and steps is the acceptable.
- Personal Demands: For example, someone just wants to convert part of the DVD video, or others want the special output video format like Apple TV compliant forms and etc.
Maybe you will choose Handbrake. But here we don’t recommend it due to many users complained Handbrake has many limits.
Yes, Handbrake is an open-source, multi-platform video transcoder available for MacOS X, Linux and Windows. It can input common DVD and Blu-ray source and output only MKV and MP4 video formats. It supports iPhone, iPod, PSP, Apple TV, PS3 as output devices. However, HandBrake alone cannot decrypt and copy-protected or commercial DVDs. To rip commercial DVDs, it needs the help of a third-party software, VLC media player. HandBrake is a total free DVD Ripper for Mac, Windows and Linux, but it is very unstable, and sometimes will crash, bringing much inconvenience to its users.
So you can choose an alternative to Handbrake as your DVD Ripper. Free DVDAid is a free DVD ripper. It offers every user the opportunity to rip, encode and edit DVD to almost any video and audio format freely. Without extra payment, you could own a freeware to assist with DVD to video/audio transition which enables you to watch DVDs on other multimedia players without limitation. Plus, with the built-in video editor, Free DVDAid is considered to be a easily handled video editing tool with the ability of trimming, cropping, splitting, merging, adding subtitle file, etc. Obviously, you can find Free DVDAid is better than Handbrake.
Key features of Free DVDAid Software
Experience DVD movie with fast speed
1. Various output formats supported
Video formats like AVI, WMV, MPG, MKV, and audio types including MP3, M4A, WAV, etc. are included in the software to be compatible with your media players.
2. 6X faster conversion speed
Largely accelerate DVD encoding speed from one format to another by using H.264 codec by fully taking advantage of NVIDIA CUDA technology and AMD ? Accelerated Parallel Processing (APP).
Edit DVD movie with wide range of options
1. Trim and Crop
The “Trim” feature allows users to decide where to start and where to end when converting the selected clip, so that unwanted segments will be cut out; the “Crop” feature helps to cut off black edges and unwanted area of the image, and set the aspect ratio.
2. Split and Merge
Split the selected task into several segments according to file quantity, time length or file size; tick off “merge into one file” box to easily combine several DVD videos into one clip to enjoy movies with natural transition.
3. Add SRT/SSA/ASS subtitle file
Attach external subtitle file to the source movie, play and watch on media player with understandable language displayed on the screen.
Customize DVD movie before conversion
1. Choose preferred subtitles and audio tracks
Free to select the desired audio stream and subtitle track from source DVD for your best movie enjoyment.
2. Customize profile parameters at will
You are allowed set video/audio codec, video display ratio, bitrate, frame rate and more to extend great DVD experience at home or on the move.
3. Watch DVD movies before conversion
With the built-in player you could preview the DVD video to make sure everything is settled down in the right way.
Free download this best free DVD ripper for Windows
Free download this best free DVD ripper for Mac
How to use Free DVDAid to Rip DVD?
Step 1. Load DVD movie
Insert DVD into DVD-Rom, launch the Free DVDAid, and load DVD by clicking on the “Load Disc” button. You can also import DVD VIDEO_TS folder, ISO files, and IFO files into this freeware.
Step 2. Select Subtitles/Audio track
After DVD movie is loaded, you can select the preferred subtitles and audio track from source DVD. On the right windows, you can preview your files and take snapshots of your favorite movie scenes.
Step 3. Select output format
Hit on the Format bar and you can choose any video and audio format like MOV, MKV, WMV, AVI, FLV, MP3, M4A, WMA, WAV, etc for output.
Tip 1. Adjust video/audio Settings (Optional). To achieve best video and audio playback, you could click the “Settings” button to customize output video quality like resolution, frame rate, bit rate, audio channel, etc.
Tip 2. If you need edit DVD, you can click the "Edit" button on the main UI and edit your movies before conversion. Many video editing options are available: Trim, Crop, Text Watermark, Image/Video Watermark, Effect, Audio Editor, and Subtitle.
Step 4. Start to rip DVD movies
After above settings, click the big “Convert” button to start to convert DVDs. Once the conversion is done, simply click the “Open output folder” button, find the created file and watch it freely.
Tip: If conversion takes long time and you are busy on other stuff, you can tick off the "Shut down computer after conversion" and the program would shut down the computer when the conversion is done.
Note: There still is a free software for ripping DVD and converting videos. It is Free Video DVD Converter Ultimate. It can rip, encode DVD and convert even edit videos in one place. With it, you could effortlessly achieve all your multimedia demands and enjoy video/DVD anywhere and anytime you like. Plus, you can quickly convert virtually any video and audio files to AVI, WMV, MOV, FLV, MKV, 3GP, MPEG, MP3, M4A, AC3, WMA, AAC and more. Meanwhile, it provides large amounts of DIY features including trimming, cropping, splitting, adding subtitle file, adding video effect, etc. to extend your own movie enjoyment. You can free download and have a try.